Mendums pond is a beautiful, 200-acre outdoor recreation area just seven miles from Durham. The pond is located on the Little River, a tributary of the Lamprey River and part of the larger Piscataqua River watershed. The area is perfect for boating and picnicking, and lakeside picnic areas are provided. Canoes, kayaks and stand-up paddleboards are available for rent. Swimming is permitted, however, there are no lifeguards on duty.
We are excited to announce that the Mendums Pond will open to the public Wednesday, June 30. To ensure the safety of visitors to the pool and following CDC guidance, the following guidelines will be in place:
- UNH students, faculty and staff will need to show their active Wildcat Pass
- Visitors who are fully vaccinated or have a negative PCR test within seven days are welcome and eligible to use Mendums Pond
- Children under the age of 15 will not have to show any documentation
- Visitors to the pool are asked to stay with the household/group they arrived with and stay physically distanced from others
- Masks are not required
- Day passes will be available for $5 a person for those 4 years and older. Purchase day passes in advance here or purchase day of at Mendums. For day of purchases at Mendums, please have a cell-phone available to pay online or pay with cash. We do not have a credit card reader available on site.
- Kayak, Stand Up Paddleboards and Canoe rentals will be available for $5/hr
We look forward to welcoming you to Mendums Pond this summer.
Can I bring my pet?
Please leave the animals at home. Only service dogs are permitted on the premises.
Can I bring alcohol?
Alcohol is not permitted on the premises.
Are there grills?
Grills are not available this summer.
Is there a lifeguard?
There is no lifeguard on duty. Swim at your own risk.
Where do I park?
The main parking lot is just past the second gate in an open field. The lower parking lot (near the Mendums Pond admin building) is reserved for handicap parking and emergency vehicles only.
Are there trash cans?
Mendums is a carry in/carry out facility. Visitors are asked to take trash along with them.
Are there watercrafts available to rent?
Kayaks, canoes and stand-up paddleboards are available for rent to be used at Mendums.
What time do boat rentals end?
The last boat rental of the day is 4:30pm. All boats must be off the water 30 minutes before closing.
When are the gates closed and locked?
Gates will be closed and locked at 6 p.m. All cars must be out of the lot by then.
- Season - Faculty/staff (Full-time, benefits eligible) - Free with Faculty/Staff ID
- Daily Pass (4 years and older) - $5
- Child (under 3 yrs) - Free
|Canoes||$5 per hour|
|Kayaks||$5 per hour|
|Standup paddleboards||$5 per hour|
- Alcohol and pets are prohibited.
- Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Fires not permitted.
- NO LIFEGUARD ON DUTY - swim at your own risk.
- All canoe, kayak, and standup paddleboard users are required to wear life jacket.
- We are a carry-in, carry-out facility.
- Directions and additional information about use of the area are available at the Welcome Center in the Hamel Recreation Center.