Built by Eldorado Climbing Walls, the bouldering wall is a prominent feature in the HRC. The 12 foot high by 52 foot long wall allows climbers of all levels experience the thrill of bouldering in a safe environment during all seasons. The wall is available by reservation only.
Bouldering Wall Policies
- All climbers must wear shoes while climbing. Climbing shoes are recommended and can be checked out from the Welcome Center.
- The mats are for climbers. Please use other mats for personal workouts.
- It is strongly recommended that you have a spotter.
- Be aware of those around you while climbing. Do not climb under anyone else.
- Keep mats clear of personal items. Please utilize the cubbies.
- Limit your music to a respectful level.
- Report all damaged equipment to Campus Recreation Staff.
- Bouldering is an inherently risky activity. You are responsible for your personal safety. Climb within your ability.
- Be nice and have fun!
Info For New Climbers
Routes & Holds
- The holds in a route are marked with colored tape.
- Start a route with your hands on the hold (or holds) marked with a "V" and use only the holds with the same colored tape to climb to the box of the same color on the top.
- While you can climb using any holds you want, if you are looking for a specific challenge you can follow a taped route.
- The difficulty of routes is rated using the V-scale.
- V0 is the easiest, and the routes get progressively more challenging as the V rating increases.
- Ratings are written on the tape starting hold of a route.
- If a route is difficult, beginners are encouraged to try using the taped holds for any hands and any holds for feet.
- While the mats are very effective at cushioning a fall, the impact can be lessened by down climbing.
- Absorb the impact of a fall by bending your knees and landing evenly on two, flat feet.